Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Sheriff From Home on the Range

 The Sheriff from Home on the Range was a fun character to do and because the style of the show was based on some of Disney shows of the 50's I decided to pay a homage to those types of designs from that time.

I animated almost all the scenes of the Sheriff except for maybe a few done by a couple animators for continuity purposes.   I loved the voice they chose for him provided by actor Richard Riehle (below) and the way he delivered the lines was so great that made my work easier. 
Before the directors and writers decided that Bucky should be the Sheriff's horse we had designed this big and bulky one (which I do not remember if had a name) as the first choice. 

Below are some of the extremes and key drawings from one of my favorite shots I animated.  I like it because it is always fun to try to make the character appear to think about something.  In this shot, Rico asks him if he would happen to know of a good horse to take.  The Sheriff is trying to think about it and dig deep to answer Rico as Bucky is showing off in the middle of the background.  The Sheriff's line is  "A horse? A horse...Let me think... I reckon you want a fast horse, hum? Real fast? Of course he also have to..."

 Hum...

 A horse...

 A horse...

 Let me think.

 I reckon you ...
 want a...
 Fast...
 Horse, hum?
 Real...

 Fast?
 Course he also...
 Have to...

Here are some rough first pass drawings.  This is how I start to rough out a shot after I plan in thumbnail form.










19 comments:

  1. I LOVE these drawings of the Sheriff, Sandro ! I love the horse too ! Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yoann! I hope you are well and busy.

      Delete
    2. Actually I do, today was my first day on the Minions movie :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous drawings Sandro. Was it your decision to do a second pass? The first pass drawings are certainly strong enough to go to an assistant. Drawings like these really highlight the freedoms that a blank page can offer a good animator, without having to worry about the limitations that may be attached to the facial rigging of a CG character.
    Style wise, Home on the Range is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin. Yes, it was my decision to do a second pass where I added all the details and did more precise drawings in a way that I could control the scenes when they went through cleanup. I actually did not have to because I had a great Key Cleanup artist working on the Sheriff, Renee Holt. She was fantastic and could easily take my first passes and make them work beautifully.

      Delete
  3. Your the man Sandro, simply put. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing, Sandro! Man, I love the way you explore actings in your scenes. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Realmente dá para ver o personagem pensando...muito bom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your work is always so clear and comes across so perfectly that even someone like me that doesn't really have an extensive knowledge in animation can grasp your concepts easily, it's pretty amazing and such a nice feeling from this side of the screen, keep the good work always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leti, I am glad you liked it. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. As soon as I saw the Sherrif (when I saw the movie) I sat up and took notice! "Joe Moshier! Mit Kahl!" immediately raced through my head! That was my first introduction to the Master Sandro Cleuzo! I thought, "Ahh.... there is still hope for this place." ;) Rock on Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I love your "rough" first pass. Way to make it look easy man! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Sandro! I'll never be tired of saying it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fantastic animated sequence. thanks you for sharing it. The post was quickly circulated around the studio here.

    ReplyDelete