Saturday, October 27, 2012

Inspiration - The Secret of Nimh


When I was a kid in the early 80's I knew I wanted to work with drawings, either comics or animation but when I first saw The Secret of Nimh I was hooked in becoming an animator. I just could not believe someone drew those amazing designs and animated those great characters like the owl, the crow and the villain. At the time, before internet of course, there's no much information I could find about this new studio or their artists specially living in Brazil.

 Slowly I discovered who did this amazing film and learned about their creators, Don Bluth, Gary Goldman and John Pomeroy, who left the Disney Studios to start a new one and with a crew of very talented artists and animators created their first and best project.
 

I will write more about them and this film in the future but now I want to show some of the most beautiful storyboards I have ever seen.  All done by Don Bluth himself.

If you have never seen the film, please do so, you will discover some beautiful and powerful art.


9 comments:

  1. Oi Sandro,

    Também lembro do meu encantamento ao ver o filme pela primeira vez em VHS nos anos 80.
    Hoje em dia parece haver uma certa antipatia sobre Don Bluth, espero estar enganado sobre isso, mas este filme reteve sua força afetiva na minha memória.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nimh is still an amazing movie. The owl scene still gives me shivers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eu tb desenho, mas não consigo esse efeito vivo em meus desenhos, ficam meio estáticos, como fazer movimento assim?

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIMH really is under-praised (and sometimes misunderstood). Definitely in my top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The secret of Nimh is one of my favorites animated films. Great animation and characters, especially the villain and the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the pleasure to see Secret of NIMH fairly early in my life (roughly 5 or 6 in 1983 from an airing on Showtime), it left quite an impression on me too. I still look back on that time with fondness at a film I felt went somewhere I didn't see yet.

    I once had a cel of both Jenner of Sullivan similar to the scene pictured above. Sadly I had to part with it a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog Sandro. Those words coming from you mean a lot.

    Great post too! I loved this film growing up and those storyboards (can you believe they are storyboards!!) are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you recognize that goof standing between Bluth and Goldman? (Derp it's me!)

    I think that Jenner & Sullivan cel is one I put up for auction recently... I have such vivid memories of working on this film that I never needed to see it again after it was done...

    I got credit on the film for story but all (and I mean ALL ) of the storyboards were done by Don Bluth himself, which is something of a feat on a film of this nature. Every panel was then used as the basis for the layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to say that this was possibly... the greatest traditionally-animated film of all time before Disney's two classic hits, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King got made.

    ReplyDelete