Thursday, August 4, 2011

The beginning



I just found this on Youtube and thought you might be interested to know how was my animation when I started. This is a commercial for a Brazilian Airline and this character was very famous at that time.
I animated (and re-animated over other animators) most of these scenes. I also helped a little with the scene planing.

It was 1987 or 88 and I was just 17 years old when I did this and was at the very beginning of my career.
As you can see, the timing and poses are very weak but I did not know any better and I kept doing and working really hard and never gave up.
It was produced at at studio called Briquet Films, in Sao Paulo and that was my school, I learned by working on actual productions. It was a great and fun time.


Eu acabei de achar esse clipe no Youtube e achei que voces poderiam se interessar em saber como era minha animacao quando comecei minha carreira. Esse comercial e o personagem variguinho foram muito famosos na epoca.
Eu animaei (E re-animei cenas de outros animadores) quase todas as cenas. Eu tambem lembro de ter ajudado um pouco com o planejamento.

Foi feito no ano de 1987 ou 88 e eu tinha apenas 17 anos de idade. Como voces podem ver, o timing e as poses sao bem fracas mas eu nao sabia muito naquela epoca e estava aprendendo (Ainda estou) mas sempre continuei a trabalhar bastante para melhorar e nunca desisti.
O comercial foi feito no estudio da Briquet Films, em Sao Paulo e foi tambem minha escola. Eu aprendi trabalhando em producoes como essa.
Foram bons tempos.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's incredibly impressive, Sandro. Definitely work to be proud of. I can't believe how good you were at 17! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animation is in your blood. To do this at 17 is incredible, Sandro. I know animators who couldn't do this all grown up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! ..this is really cool =D wish i was as talented xD ..but i guess the gap between a 15 and 17 year old is clearly visible in terms of talent in animation :p ..or is it!? ..yeah, it is =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's insanely impressive! Thanks for sharing your old work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ai! Se eu animasse aos 17, já não era nada mau...comecei este ano num estúdio em Lisboa, aos 24!
    Admiro muito o teu trabalho, parabéns por tudo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work for a 17 year old Sandro !!!
    you are a natural :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun stuff! Impressive too for just starting out.

    It's so cool when young up and comers can learn on the job. I wonder how much more of a rarity that is these days with the level of competition.

    To be doing this at the age of 17... wow. If only way back when I had a similar mix of drive and talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I didn't grow up near such a studio and tried to find my way into there for stuff like that myself.

      Delete
  8. Hate to beat a dead horse but... at 17? Damn, I couldn't even draw that well then, much less animate something. I'm genuinely jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great quality work! Looks like there was a great talent pool in Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oi Sandro! Tava muito bom pra 17! Essa época deve ter sido legal mesmo! Abraços!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At 17 you started out with more talent than many animators end up with! This is a very appealing spot--the dance step and the scene of him sitting and drinking juice are especially clever...
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Will,

    I did the drinking scene (It's actually a kind of hot tea that they drink there in that region)but not the dancing scene.

    That dancing scene was animated by one of the more seasoned and well established animators at that time who was brought to help finish the spot on time. He was one of 4 guys who would dominate the animation scene in Sao Paulo in the 80"s.

    I remember not making much money but the more experienced and established animators were making good, they had new cars and bought their houses.

    Best.

    Sandro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you have to start somewhere I suppose. Only a shame I had to grow up in a state not particularly known for animation at all, yet it was something I had an interest in for most of my early years.

      Delete
  13. Sensacional, Sandro! Eu acompanho o seu trabalho há muitos anos, mas não tinha ideia de que você também fazia parte da minha infância.

    ReplyDelete