Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Illusionist

A couple of years ago I was looking for my next job and I learned about The Illusionist being produced in Scotland at Django Films.  I had been in talks with Disney about joining them again for Frog but they were taking too long to decide on a date or if I would be hired at all so I  decided to send my reel to Django films to see if I could work on their film.

After a couple of weeks they contacted me saying that Sylvain Chomet had liked my reel and  they offered me a job to animate on the film but I had to move to Scotland which I would, of course.

Well, now I had to decide what to do and was already set on to move to Scotland when Disney called with the official offer and a date to start.   I ended up going back to Disney and I missed the opportunity to work on the beautiful The Illusionist.

I do not know the story, but what I have seen so far, visually, looks great, j ust like the kind of style I love.  
I think this is a great way to do traditional animation, where you can really see the pencil strokes and the backgrounds have that great painterly look of watercolor with pencil details on top.

I can't wait to see this film and I know when I see it I will think "I was this close to be a part of this".

Congratulations to Sylvain Chomet, the director and all the animators , art director and everyone else involved in this beautiful film.

9 comments:

  1. I missed the premier here in berlin, but mostly everyone seemed to be pleased with the result. I believe it must be visually stunning and the animation is, from all what I had seen in scotland, beautiful.
    actually check out http://victor-ens.blogspot.com/ for some footage from berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say my friend, and please don't take this the wrong way... I think you may have chose the wrong film to work on!! :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rawls,

    Actually, it was fun to be back at Disney and to have worked again with my friends there, I do not regret it at all. Also, the salary offer was better at Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Victor,

    Thanks for checking in and give your insight.
    Congratulations on your work on the film, you should be proud of it.

    I do not know Paul Dutton but he must be an amazing artist and I would love to meet him one day.

    Interesting to hear your comment about how Sylvain did not do his job as a director.

    Best.

    Sandro

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. =) yeah i saw the preview for it the other day, =) looks awsome, had no idea what the french guy was saying but i really enjoyed the animation =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. God this film looks fantastic...sorry you didn't get to work on it but I'm sure your contributions were welcomed on Frog just as much. The feel of Illusionist reminds me of that old english feel in My Dog Tulip, but with expertly drafted linework.

    ReplyDelete